Direct Admission in MJMC: Eligibility Criteria, Required Skill
Master of Journalism & Mass Communication (MJMC) is a postgraduate mass communication course of two years duration. The course involves the study of various forms of big media including newspapers, radio, television, films, etc., so as to convey information to a large audience. MJMC course helps students to provide advance theoretical and applied knowledge in various media professions such as journalism, advertising, event management, public relations, etc. The MJMC syllabus also serves as a base for candidates who want to pursue a career in research. Know what all MJMC syllabus says in terms of syllabus, top recruiters, job profiles etc.
Required Skillset for MJMC
MJMC candidates must have the skills to make a successful career in the field of journalism and mass communication:
Direct Admission in MJMC Skillset for MJMC Candidates
|Good flair of the language||Excellent communication skills|
|High level of confidence||Attention to detail|
|Problem-solving skills||Ability to work under stringent deadlines|
|Ability to work under rough conditions||Good observation skills|
|Ability to express ideas and thoughts clearly||Ability to present information in an effective manner|
|Good interviewing skills||Great networking skills|
MJMC: Eligibility Criteria
The basic eligibility criteria to pursue Journalism and Mass Communication course are given below:
- Candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized institute or university
- Candidates should score a minimum total percentage (usually 50% -60%) as in the university they are applying to Sometimes, candidates holding postgraduate degrees are also eligible to apply for the course
- Sometimes candidates with a strong grip on English are preferred at the time of admission
Note: MJMC eligibility criteria mentioned above might vary depending on the college/ university in which a candidate is applying.
Course curriculum for MJMC
As stated earlier, the MJMC is a two-year duration course which is usually divided into four semesters. Although the MJMC curriculum varies from institution to institution, below are the semester-wise core subjects (theory as well as practical) commonly taught in the Master of Journalism and Mass Communication:
MJMC Course Syllabus Semester-I
|Communication Theory and Practice||Global Media & Inter-Cultural Communication|
|Environment & Development Communication||Print Media & New Media|
|History of Indian Media||Research Methodology for Communication and Media Research|
|Contemporary Media Scenario||Print Journalism and Writing for Media|
|Photography, Videography and Audiography||Cultural Education|
|Graphic Design Lab||Photography Lab|
|Videography Lab||Audiography Lab|
|Print Journalism and Writing Practice||–|
MJMC Course Syllabus Semester-II
|Business Media||Broadcast Media & Journalism|
|Media Research Methods||Media Management|
|Principles of Advertising & Public Relation||Film Studies|
|Media Ethics and Laws||Short Film Production (Fiction & Documentary)|
|Digital Video Editing Lab||Short Film Production (Fiction and Documentary) Lab|
MJMC Course Syllabus Semester-III
|Media Content Writing (English/ Hindi)||Film Appreciation & Criticism|
|Communication for Development||New Media and Web Content|
|Online Journalism||Public Relations Theory|
|Public Relations Campaigns Practical||Critical Viewing and Reading Analysis Practice|
|Basics of Audio and Video Production||Key Texts in Visual Media|
|Reporting, Editing and Lab Journal||New Media and Web Content Lab|
|Internship Training and Report Presentation||News Casting, Anchoring and Program|
|Presentation Skills||Video News Production with Project|
MJMC Course Syllabus Semester-IV
|Internship||Dissertation and Viva Voce|
It may be noted that apart from core subjects, MJMC course curriculum also includes some elective subjects that are to be chosen by candidates. Have a look at some of the elective subjects of MJMC course below:
|Political Communication||Creative Communication|
|Global Communication||Television News and Studio Production|
|Television News & Studio Production||Basics of Audio and Video Production|
|Organizational Communication||Web Design and Production|
|History of World and Indian Cinema||Radio News and Studio Production|
|Brand Planning and Management||Print Journalism|
|Photo Journalism||Creative Expression in Regional Language|
|Foreign language||Creative Writing|
|Instrumental Music||Marketing Management|
|Micro Economics||Statistical Analysis|
|Design Studies||Culture Studies|
|Theatre Studies||Business Ethics|
|Web Technologies and E-Commerce||Computer Hardware and Networking|
MJMC: Job Profiles & Top Recruiters
MJMC degree candidates can secure promising jobs in various fields of media such as advertising agencies, photography companies, broadcasting companies, magazines and magazines, news agencies, public relations organizations, TV channels, radio telecasting companies, websites, and the like. Following are some popular job profiles for candidates who successfully complete the MJMC course:
- Correspondent: A reporter is an on-the-scene reporter or a journalist who contributes reports on a newspaper, radio, television, or the Internet.
- Art director: An art director is a professional who is responsible for the visual aspects of an advertisement or media campaign.
Photographer: A photographer is a professional who blends his creativity and technical skills to click photographs of people, places, landscapes, food and more. etc.
- Cartoonist: As the name suggests, a cartoonist creates cartoon illustrations that can be humorous, political or editorial in nature.
- Content Writer: A content writer produces a variety of content from web to articles and reviews to game scripts.
Editor: An editor is responsible for examining the style and content of a publication.
- Film director: A film director is a person who controls the artistic and dramatic aspects of a film and observes its script, guiding the technical crew and actors in the completeness of that scene.
- Public Relations Officer: A PR officer has the responsibility of using a wide range of media to maintain a good image for a company or brand through planned promotional campaigns and PR activities.
- Radio Jockey: An RJ plays music, conducts interviews and discusses with listeners on the radio.
- Video Jockey: A VJ has primary responsibility for presenting music videos and hosting concerts for electronic and social media as well as public works.
Some of the top recruiters for MJMC candidates include:
Top Recruiters for MJMC Candidates
|Times of India Group||India Today Group|
|Hindustan Times||Indian Express|
|Anand Bazar Patrika||Zee Entertainment Enterprise|
|NDTV||Sahara One Media & Entertainment Limited|
|Balaji Telefilms Limited||Wizcraft Entertainment|
|Percept Limited||DNA Entertainment Networks|
|Cox & Kings||Cineyug Entertainments|